Monday, August 18, 2014

Review #95: Plantation Rum Trinidad 2000 for the Nectar Belgium, 42% abv, Marsala and Cognac cask finish, 450 bottles

back at home to work again

I've been away, drinking beer and bourbon, and now back home, satisfying an unreasonable craving for peat. I can't really score any of those objectively, so I'll continue with summer rum for a little while.

This is from Trinidad (via France via Belgium, at the least). I guess that means it's made from molasses. I don't know anything else about it.

nose: interesting! first a praline sweetness, then a sharp, almost smoky grassiness, and finally jammy fruit -- peaches in syrup above all, but also lychee and some melon. some marshmallow candy along with faint whiffs of motor oil, sesame seeds, and walnuts. sweet and dirty at the same time.

palate: very zesty/winey with candied fruit and brown sugar. The strength seems just right -- I don't know if it's the alcohol or the acid, but everything balances out and the range of sour/dry fruit flavors remains intense.

finish: nothing special. everything fades away, leaving behind some sour orange and maybe a little camphor.

I really enjoyed this. I'll have to try more of these silly Plantation multi-cask-finishes, to see if they turn out not to be silly. Same score as last one.

score: 87
 

No comments:

Post a Comment