Thursday, November 20, 2014

Review #128: Ledaig 6yr 2008/2014, Van Wees, 46% abv, Cask #800014, ex-bourbon, 433 bottles


off to a different island

I ran out of Nikka whiskies, so I guess it's time to move over to Mull. I guess I've not yet reviewed a Ledaig, which is a peated Tobermory, which I guess I've also not yet reviewed. Tobermory is known for tasting funny, but Ledaig is known for really successful peaters at a young age, which is good, because this one is young and was cheap.

Nose: a nice stinky, earthy peat with lots of gasoline, bacon, salt spray, and wet wool. There's some canola oil in the background, and the whole thing gradually settles on lemon wedges, wet rocks, and resinous smoke, with just a touch of vanilla. Except for just a touch of bare ethanol and some angry pears, everything seems suitably mature.

Palate: Oily, phenolic, zesty, and sweet. I expected a big letdown, but this is a pretty rich palate. Sweeter than I expected, maybe, with some new rubber tire and barley notes.

Finish: sweet, peaty, long


No big revelations here, but this is just good, richly-flavored peated whisky. Great bargain.


score: 86

No comments:

Post a Comment