Sunday, November 9, 2014

Unnumbered review: wine gums


it's been a bad week

So, I have a cold, and although I still have my sense of smell, I think, I really don't feel like drinking whisky. (I do, but I also don't.) So here's something I've been wondering about: what are wine gums. They're mentioned here and here and here, for example, but I don't think I quite get the concept. I'm not sure that it makes sense to open a bag of candy in the aftermath of Halloween, but here goes ...

they're weird-tasting gummi bears that aren't bear-shaped. They're maybe a little firmer than gummi bears, so maybe a little closer to movie-theater candy. But they're the basic corn syrup/gelatin/wax composite that we all love.

the red ones seem to have the word "claret" printed on them. and also the yellow ones and the green ones and the orange ones. ok, so the words don't correlate with color. some of them have "sherry" and "port" and "champagne" and "burgundy" printed on them, too. the rest have brand insignia.

the red ones seem to have a very faint berry/cherry flavor, regardless of what's printed on them. the yellow ones are lemony, the green ones have I guess a lime flavor, the black ones have a weird grapey flavor, and the orange ones are orangey. I like the black ones best. It must be a weird historical accident that they name their gummi bears using English names for French wines. (clearly God wanted gummi candies to be bear- or worm-shaped.)

this has been a pretty uninspiring tasting, but I can see why one would use it as a tasting note: it's a kind of direct fruitiness that isn't fruit, along with some waxiness. there's also a bite to these: I notice that the ingredients list "vegetable extracts (black carrot, spinach, stinging nettle, turmeric)" and I can feel it a bit.

well, that's that. maybe next time it'll be salmiak or speculoos or gentian eau de vie.




No comments:

Post a Comment